History of the Alva Farmer's Coop
The Alva Farmer's Coop was organized March 20, 1917 with Mr. O. A. Abbott as temporary chairman and Mr. N.B. Litton as temporary Secretary. Mr. Litton severed as secretary of the organization until 1938. A committee was elected to draft by-laws and a constitution for the new association with elevators at Alva and Hopeton. Members of the committee were J.C. Maddox, John Zapp, Parr Easterly, W.T. Abbott, Adam Vollmer, and C.A Buchanan.
The first Board of Directors elected were:
O.A. Abbot-------Vice President
These directors served through the year 1919.
The association was incorporated in the state of Oklahoma for $15,000.00. The first manager was Mr. Clark from Dacoma. Possession of elevators was taken on April 2, 1917. The association started with two locations, Alva and Hopeton. At the end of 1917 the Association had 53 members. The first Annual meeting was held January 14, 1918 in the District Court Room in Alva with 27 stockholders in attendance.
One of the original two stations started out with one elevator and feed business has expanded to serve all of the farmers and stockmans needs. In 1917 the first delivery wagon was put into service and in 1934 a produce department was added. The produce department has since been discontinued.
The petroleum department was opened in 1942 and today serves its patrons with a card pump, a full service tire and auto station with muffler service, on farm tire service along with a large tire sales and service center, front end alignment and other related products.
The hardware and appliance department was opened in 1949 and in 1981 was moved to a larger building where they handle fencing supplies, tools, welding supplies, lawn and garden supplies, plumbing supplies and many other items for the farmer.
The first bulk fertilizer blend warehouse was built in 1964 and in 1979 a new fertilizer warehouse was built at its present location. Fertilizer services includes anhydrous ammonia, applicators and dry spreaders for rent, custom application of liquid and dry fertilizer and a full line of farm chemicals.
The two elevators have a capacity of 3.1 million bushels. The one million bushel elevator at 4th and Santa Fe was added in 1954 and the terminal elevator was purchased from Flour Mills of America in 1976.
The general office was built in 1948, it has also held the hardware store and the service station.
The Ashley location was added to the Association in 1928. In 1945 a 100,000 Bushel concrete elevator was built. A 200,000 bushel concrete annex was built on in 1959.
The Association purchased the office and scale from General Grain Co. in 1945. A new 100,000 bushel concrete elevator was built in 1946. A 200,000 bushel concrete elevator was built 1966. This location has a fuel department.
This location was added to the association in 1935. In 1939 an 80,000 bushel concrete elevator was built along with an office and feed warehouse. In 1942 the petroleum department was added. A 210,000 bushel concrete annex was built in 1949 with an outside pit and leg installed in 1954. Another 200,000 concrete elevator was added in 1965.
This was one of the original two location in the Association. In 1945 a 100,000 bushel concrete elevator was built and in 1959 a 150,000 bushel concrete elevator was built. This location also has fuel.
This location was added to the Association in 2001. The elevator can hold up to 770,000 bushel. The Buffalo location offers fuel, fertilizer, feed and a farm supply store.
This location was added to the Association in 2001. The elevator can hold up to 459,000 bushel. The Selman location has fuel.